Monday, December 14, 2009

Our Gingerbread House


So this year I said that we were going to make a gingerbread house. Of course the girls were super excited about it. I made the decision to make it with the stuff we had at home instead of using the kit that you can get at Michael's for $14. And what an experience it was. We all actually enjoyed it. It was just a challenge for me to build the house. But once I figured it out, it came together fairly quickly. It was the "figuring it out" part that got me.
Anyway, we used graham crackers all the way around and on the roof. I even cut triangles for the part that hols the roof. Everything is sticking together with icing (which we were all eating). We used Cheese It crackers for the roof (we only have the letter ones), mini candy canes for the door frame, mini marshmallows for the windows, and M & Ms for the "lights" around the house, and Hershey's Kiss for the chimney! The girls enjoyed eating everything as we were decorating. I really just ate the icing. The door could have looked a little better, but the girls actually put everything on the house. Which explains why everything is a bit crooked. Oh and after the fact, I found the Hershey's mini bars that we could have used for the doors. Oh well. So here are a few pictures...Again, the quality is due the flash not working. BTW, my camera is now in the repair department at Sears...hopefully I will get it back soon!

On Christmas Eve, when everyone is here, we'll probably make another house. Hopefully I will have better pictures then!

1 comments:

Steph said...

Great job on the homemade gingerbread house! We failed miserably this year. I bought the 9.99 one at Kroger's and the walls would not stay up with the icing no matter what I did. I gave up and chunked it in the trash!